STAINED GLASS MOSAIC KIT GROUTING INSTRUCTIONS
Thank you for purchasing one of our stained glass mosaic kits! We hope you’re finding it fun and rewarding. Grouting means filling in the spaces between your glass pieces with a putty-like substance called grout. Adding grout to finish your mosaic is optional and entirely up to your taste!
Please click here to see our full selection of available Mosaic Kits.
Ungrouted (left) vs Grouted (right):
GROUTING TIMELAPSE VIDEO
How To Grout Your Mosaic
The grout is the dark grey powder found in a plastic pouch. Paddle application stick. Additional items needed not found in Grout Kit are scissors, cleaning cloth and throw-away paper work surface.
Work Area – The grouting process can be dusty and wet grout can be messy. Please make sure to protect your work area to prevent damage to floors, surfaces, etc. Also read all instructions, health precautions, and manufacturer information before setting up your work area.
- Remove the grout pouch from the kit. Hold pouch vertically and allow grout (powder) contents to fall to the bottom of the pouch container. Holding the pouch upright, cut the top of the pouch off with a pair of scissors.
Roll the top of the pouch down about ½” to form a outside lip. Place your fingers under the lip to help hold the pouch while adding water and stirring.
- Pour several teaspoons of cool water into the bag. Stir the contents & mix thoroughly. Add more water in small amounts until the consistency of the grout is about like peanut butter. If too much water is added, the mixture will be more difficult to use, allow water to evaporate.
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes, and then remix and use. Periodically remix to keep the mixture workable, but do not add water.
- With the glass pieces of the mosaic facing up, using the paddle, take small amounts of the grout mixture and apply it to the mosaic top surface.
- Spread a thin layer of grout to cover the total surface, but not the reverse side, of the project. This should include the sides if you are using the tile. Push the rest of the grout to fill in between the glass pieces until the bag contents are empty of grout.
- Remove the excess grout from surface and wait for for the grout to firm up.
- Lightly begin to clean the excess grout from the surface with a damp disposable cleaning cloth. Wipe the surface gently to remove grout residue from surface of glass. The grout on the surface of the glass should be removed before the grout mixture is allowed to dry.
Seal per manufacturer recommendations: Sealing of Grout – Use a pH-neutral, water-based, penetrating sealer such as AquaMix Sealer’s Choice Gold (Excluded from Grout Kit).
Avoid eye contact or prolonged contact with skin. Wash thoroughly after handling. If eye contact occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes and consult a physician. Use with adequate ventilation; do not breathe dust and wear a NIOSH approved respirator. If ingested, do not induce vomiting; call a physician immediately.
Keep out of reach of children.
Composition of Product Polyblend® Sanded Grout is a dry, Portland cement based grout with silica sand, inorganic aggregates and chemicals.
Warning – Injurious to eyes, causes skin irritation. May cause an allergic skin reaction. May be harmful if swallowed. Do not mix with other chemicals products. Avoid contact with eyes and prolonged contact with skin. Do not breathe dust. Do not take internally. Wash thoroughly after handling. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Use in well-ventilated areas. Wear impervious gloves, such as nitrite, and eye protection.
First Aid Treatment – Contains: silica sand and Portland cement. Forms calcium hydroxide when wet. If eye or skin contact occurs: rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses,, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. If inhaled: remove person to fresh are and keep comfortable for breathing. If swallowed: rinse mouth. Do not induce vomiting. Immediately seek medical advice or attention. If symptoms are significant or persist. Read Safety data sheet before handling, available online at www.costombuildingproducts.com. In emergency, call 800.535.5053. WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm-www.P65Warning.ca.gov
Manufacturer: Custom Building Products Materials
Product Name Polyblend® Sanded Grout 2 Manufacturer Custom Building Products Technical Services 10400 Pioneer Boulevard, Unit 3 Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670 Customer Support: 800-272-8786
Technical Services: 800-282-8786 Fax: 800- 200-7765 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.custombuildingproducts.com